The Sony Open begins today, Thursday, January 14th. The tournament takes place in Hawaii, with coverage on The Golf Channel. If you’ve read my guide on how to watch The Golf Channel, you should be all set to watch the Sony Open. If not, then I’ll cover those specifics here and tell you the best way for you to watch the 2021 Sony Open for free and without cable.
2021 Sony Open TV Schedule
The 2021 Sony open consists of 4 rounds of Golf starting Thursday, January 14th, 2021, and wrapping up on Sunday, January 17th. The Sony Open will not be broadcast live through PGA Tour Live on the NBC Sports Gold app. Instead, you can watch each round on the Golf Channel at the date and times below:
|Thursday||01/14/21||Round 1||7 pm – 10:30 pm|
|Friday||01/15/21||Round 2||7 pm – 10:30 pm|
|Saturday||01/16/21||Round 3||7 pm – 10:30 pm|
|Sunday||01/17/21||Round 4||6 pm -10 pm|
How To Watch The Sony Open Free
All 4 rounds are covered on Golf Channel at the time in the table above. The following streaming providers all carry Golf Channel and carry a free trial long enough to watch the entire tournament free:
- Hulu Live TV – Offers a 1-week free trial
- FuboTV – offers a 1-week free trial.
- YouTube TV – offers a 1-week free trial
There is no commitment when signing up for the trial. However, you have to cancel before the trial is over or be charged for the first month. There is no contract, and the subscription is billed month to month. You can cancel at any time.
These streaming services all have apps for Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, and other streaming devices so that you can watch the Sony Open on your TV. They also have apps on iOS and Android mobile devices. They also have a cloud DVR for you to record the tournament, along with the ability to pause and rewind while watching.
How To Use the Streaming Service
Once you sign up for one of the services, you need to download the streaming app to a supported streaming device to watch on your TV. The instructions below are for using the Hulu streaming app on a Roku to watch the Sony Open, but it’s generally the same steps for other streaming apps and devices.
- Sign up for a free trial to Hulu Live TV or another streaming service that carries Golf Channel
- On your Roku Menu, navigate to “Search” and press “OK” on your remote
- Enter the name of the streaming service you subscribe to in the search bar
- Select the streaming service and press “OK.”
- Select “Add Channel” press “OK” on your remote. If the channel is already installed, “Go To Channel” will be an option.
- The App is now installed on your Roku. Open the app, and log in with the credentials you used to subscribe to the service. Golf Channel will be a channel available through the app’s live TV guide.
For more information on these services, check out the following reviews we put together:
Other streaming services carry the Golf Channel. However, they don’t have a free trial long enough to watch the event. You can read more about all of these streaming services in my guide on how to watch the Golf Channel.
You Can Also Watch The Sony Open on the NBC Sports App
If you don’t want to use Hulu’s or other streaming services app, you can also use your credentials (username and password) for those services to unlock Golf Channel content on the NBC Sports App. Here are the steps to set up the Golf Channel on the NBC Sports App:
- Sign up for a free trial to Hulu Live TV or another streaming service that carries Golf Channel.
- After signing up, go to the channel store or app store on your device.
- Please search for the NBC Sports app (It’s supported on Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, and more)
- Add the NBC Sports app to your device and then open it.
- Navigate to the Settings “Gear Icon” on the left of the screen and select “NBC Sports Sign in.”
- Your device will show you an activation code and the URL to Activate the NBC Sports app.
- Using a computer or mobile web browser, navigate to the URL in step 6. On that page, select your device and enter the code. Select “Continue”
- On the next page, select “Hulu” from the “TV Provider” drop-down and select continue.
- On this page, Enter your username and password for Hulu and select “Login.”
- Once you sign-in, your TV screen will refresh after a minute or so. You should now have access to all the live and on-demand content NBC and Golf Channel provides through the NBC Sports App.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For the latest news tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to follow our Google News Feed, like our Facebook Page and Follow Us on Twitter.