HBO Max currently only supports a handful of devices, and they are currently missing support for Roku and Amazon Fire TV. While we all hope this issue is resolved soon, the good people over at the FireTV subreddit figured out how to watch HBO Max on your Amazon Fire TV device.
The process involves “side-loading” the android version of HBO Max on your Fire TV device. It’s similar to how to explain how to install Kodi on your Fire TV Stick in my article on jailbreaking a fire TV Stick.
Side-loading is just a slang term for installing android apps on your Fire TV that aren’t officially released for Amazon Fire TV. Amazon turns this ability off by default to ensure only approved apps are installed.
Those android apps are installed by downloading the “apk file” which is simply an android install of the app. I’ll explain how to do this in detail, but the three main steps are:
- Enable side-loading on your Fire TV
- Download and app called “Downloader” that enables you to download the HBO Max apk file from a site called APKmirror
- Use Downloader to download and install HBO Max
Here are the steps for anyone interested:
- Uninstall HBO Now. You can’t have HBO Now installed on your Fire TV Stick for this to work. HBO Go is fine to keep on there.
- From the Fire TV Home screen navigate to “Settings”
- Then select My Fire TV / Device and choose Developer Options
- Enable both the ADB Debugging and the Apps from Unknown Sources options. If you have the new Fire Stick interface, this is found in Settings > Device > Developer Options. If you have the old interface, go to Settings > System > Developer options.
- Next, install “Downloader to your fire TV device” It’s available for download in the Amazon store.
- Open the Downloader app and navigate to the browser.
- There you can download the android version of HBO Max by typing the URL “https://www.apkmirror.com/wp-content/themes/APKMirror/download.php?id=1246386” into the browser. That’s a lot of typing on a remote, so I made this short link redirect that works as well: https://shorturl.at/hjsv1
- This will download the android version of HBO Max. When finished downloading, you will get a prompt to install.
- HBO Max is now installed, and you use it like you would any other app. Use your existing credentials to HBO Now or HBO Max.
The version of HBO Max we downloaded is 126.96.36.199. Check the APKmirror website every so often to see if there is an update. You would need to remove max and re-install the new version at that time using these instructions with the new version.
I also recommend you turn off side-loading by disabling the options we enabled in step 4. Happy streaming!
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to join our Facebook Page.
Disney+ is offering an amazing deal combining Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ for just $12.99 per month! For more on the new Disney streaming service, check out our ultimate guide to Disney+
Right now you can get 6 months of Starz for only $25. That's less than $4.25 per month! See offer details.