Starz Promo: Currently Starz is only $5 per month for 3 months. You even get Starz free for 7 days when you sign up for this promo offer.
If you are a cord cutter, there is no reason to miss shows on Starz like Outlander, Power, and American Gods. Check out this 1-week free trial to the Starz App and not only will you get to see your favorite Starz original show the day it airs, but you have the entire Starz library on-demand! Starz owns Encore, so you will also have all those movies and TV shows as well.
The Starz App
The Starz App costs $8.99 per month after your free trial. The app consolidated the “Starz Play”, “Encore Play”, and “MoviePlex” apps into one app that can be enjoyed by both cord cutters and Pay TV subscribers alike. It provides all the TV shows and movies currently available on Starz and StarzEncore in HD, and you can register 4 devices on one account.
Below is a list of all the channels available through the Starz App:
- Starz Edge
- Starz in Black
- Starz Comedy
- Starz Cinema
- Starz Kids & Family
- Starz Encore
- Starz Encore Action
- Starz Encore Classic
- Starz Encore Black
- Starz Encore Family
- Starz Encore Suspense
- Starz Encore Westerns
- Starz Encore Espanol
- Movie Plex
- Indie Plex
- Retro Plex
You can watch shows at the same time they air on Starz, just as if you had Starz through cable TV. You also have access to their massive catalog of original programming.
The Starz App is supported on Roku, 4th Gen Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Android TV devices, and modern browsers. You can also use the Starz App on iOS and Android tablets and phones. Your iOS device is also a way to use watch Starz on your old Apple TV via Airplay. This also works with an Android device and Google Chromecast. All of the devices supported by the Starz app are listed below.
Starz App Supported Devices
- Kindle Fire Tablet 4th generation or newer
- Amazon Fire TV and Stick
- Android Phone and Tablets Running Android 4.1 or newer
- Android TV
- Nexus Player
- NVIDIA Shield
- Razer Forge
- 3rd and 4th generation Apple TVs
- Browsers – Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari (All Current Version)
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod Running iOS 8.1 or newer
- Roku – 2nd generation or newer
- Sony Smart TVs running Android 5 or newer
- Select 2014, 20151, 2016, and 2017 model year Samsung Smart TVs
- Xbox One
STARZ suggest a minimum bandwidth of 2.5 Mbps but recommends at least 6 Mbps for the best experience.
How to Activate Starz
Once you sign up for the free trial, you can activate Starz on your device by following the appropriate instructions below.
On Roku, Apple TV, or Fire TV
- Sign into your Roku or other streaming devices.
- Launch the Starz app/channel. (If the App isn’t in your menu, simply download it from the appropriate app store on your device)
- Sign into the Starz app with the email address and password you used when signing up for Starz. You will see an activation code.
- Then, go to activate.starz.com
- Enter the activation code on the Roku TV screen in the provided box.
Starz on Other Services
If you have any of the services below, you can add it through their interface instead of getting the Starz app.
Starz on Hulu
If you have Hulu Live TV or Standard Hulu you can add Starz through your Hulu Account following the instructions below.
- Visit your Account page
- Select Manage under Add-ons to adjust your subscription settings
- To switch your plan, select On/Off next to the plan you want to switch to (for example, No Commercials or Hulu with Live TV). Or, select Add this/Remove this next to the Feature Add-on or Premium Network (HBO, SHOWTIME, Cinemax) you want to add to your plan.
- Confirm your choices by selecting Continue
Starz On Sling TV
Sling TV now offers a Starz Add-On package that provides access to Starz and Encore. The Starz Add-on pack is available to both Sling Blue and Orange customers for just $9 per month.
You can check my full review of Sling TV for more details. If you aren’t a Sling TV subscriber, you can sign up for their 7-day free trial, and check out Starz along with everything else Sling TV has to offer.
Here are the instructions to add Starz to your existing account:
- Start by signing in to your Sling TV account here
- Click “CHANGE SUBSCRIPTION”
- Click the “+SELECT” button next to “Starz”
- Then Click “Submit Order” and Starz will be added to your service.
Starz on Amazon Prime
Amazon Prime is now offering Starz as an add-on package for 8.99 per month. This is part of their “Streaming Partners Program” and no cable TV subscription is necessary. While Showtime is already available to cord cutters, this is big news for those looking to watch Starz and have an Amazon Prime subscription.
I have long thought Amazon Prime was a better cord cutting solution for a back catalog of movies and TV shows. The addition of Starz makes Amazon Prime a great candidate to replace Netflix for those looking to consolidate streaming services.
If you do not already have Amazon Prime, you can sign up here for a 30-day free trial. During the trial, you can try both Showtime and Starz free for 7 days. You can add the additional subscription package through your Amazon Prime channel on Roku and Amazon Fire TV, or sign up through your account on their website.
Starz on DirecTV Now
You can also add Starz through your DirecTV Now service by following the instructions below:
- Sign in to your DIRECTV NOW.
- Select the icon in the upper right to open Settings.
- Go to your User Account.
- Select Manage My Plan to view available packages and premium channels. Your current plan will be highlighted.
- Make your desired updates and Accept Changes to save.
Looking for fast Internet and a way to stream live TV online? Right now, new Fios customers can get blazing fast internet and 1 month of Free YouTube TV!.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It's designed as a guide to our most important articles to help you ditch pay TV.
Disclosure: Grounded Reason is supported by a small commission for purchases made through some product links on this website. We do not accept compensation from companies attempting to sway our review of products.