This article covers everything you need to know about Paramount+ (pronounced “Paramount Plus”.) I’ll explain what you can watch on Paramount Plus, plans and prices, and ultimately help you decide if Paramount Plus is worth your money.
- What is Paramount Plus
- Paramount Plus Device Support
- What’s on Paramount Plus
- CBS Live Streaming
- Is Paramount Plus Worth the Cost
What is Paramount Plus
Paramount Plus is a subscription-based premium video streaming service that replaced CBS All Access in March of 2021. The service will still provide exclusive original TV shows on-demand, a live stream of local CBS stations, and an immense library of other on-demand TV shows.
- Tens of thousands of TV episodes and movies from CBS, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures, Smithsonian Channel, and more.
- CBS All Access Originals Series, including hits like The Good Fight, Star Trek: Picard, and The Stand.
- Brand-new original series and exclusive content, such as Kamp Koral, a new original series from Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants, along with the new Paramount+ Original, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
- Movies from Paramount Pictures
- Your live local CBS station, CBSN, CBS Sports HQ, and ET Live with the Paamount+ Premium plan.
- New and classic shows from Nickelodeon.
Paramount Plus Plans and Prices
Currently, Paramount+ offers two subscription plans, the ad-free “Premium” plan for $9.99 per month and an ad-supported “Essential” plan for $4.99 per month. These plans were released on June 7, 2021. Paramount+ used to offer a $5.99 plan, but that plan is discontinued for new subscribers. However, those subscribed to that plan before June 7th, 2021, can still stay on that plan as long as there isn’t a break in the subscription.
$9.99 per month after a 7-day free trial
The Paramount Plus Premium plan costs $9.99 per month and provides thousands of on-demand TV shows and movies along with your live local CBS affiliate. Below are all the features this plan includes:
- Tens of thousands of episodes & movies
- NFL on CBS, top soccer like Serie A & more sports
- No ads except live TV & a few shows
- 24/7 local & national news
- Your local CBS station live
- Download your shows to watch later
This plan includes everything that was previously available on CBS All Access. Live streams of CBS local TV stations will still have commercials.
$4.99 per month after a 7-day free trial
The “Essential Plan” provides all the on-demand episodes and movies, but you have to watch limited ads. You also lose the local live CBS channels, but can still watch NFL Game son CBS. This plan includes:
- Tens of thousands of episodes & movies
- NFL on CBS & Champions League live
- Limited ads
- 24/7 national news
There are no contracts with either plan, so you can cancel Paramount Plus any time you wish. Paramount Plus offers a 7-day free trial so that you can try the service with no risk.
You can add Showtime to either Paramount+ plan. If you decide to bundle Showtime and Paramount+ you access Paramount+ through the Paramount+ app and Showtime movies and original series through the Showtime app. The cost for Showtime and Paramount+ are below:
- Paramount+ Essential and Showtime – $9.99 per month
- Paramount+ Premium and Showtime – $12.99 per month
Can You Watch Paramount Plus on More Than One Device?
You can watch Paramount Plus on any supported device you own. However, you can only watch Paramount Plus on a maximum of 3 simultaneous streams. For example, you can install the Paramount Plus app on every device in your home, but you can only watch Paramount Plus on 3 of those at the same time.
What Video Resolution does Paramount Plus Support?
Subscribers to the $9.99 Commercial Free plan can watch in Dolby Vision and 4K HDR (HDR10) if the episode has it enabled. Paramount Plus supports these video formats on Amazon Fire TV (4K Stick, Cube), Android TV (on HDR/DV Capable TV), and Apple TV 4K HDR (5th Gen) devices. Dolby Vision and/or HDR10 enabled content will be marked with badges on the show page.
What Audio Quality Does Paramount Plus Support?
Surround sound is available on select shows on Apple TV (Gen 3 or Later), Chromecast, Android TV, and Xbox. These devices must be connected via HDMI to a TV or receiver capable of decoding Dolby Audio.
Paramount Plus Device Support
Watch Paramount Plus by downloading the Paramount+ app to Roku Players, Apple TV, Xbox, Chromecast, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire TV Stick, and you watch right on your television. You can also stream on the go by doanloading the paramount+ app to uout iOS or Android Mobile device. The Paramount+ app is also avaialble on Samsung, LG, and Vizio smart TVs along with Xfinity Flex & X1 boxes.
What’s on Paramount Plus
Below are all the various TV shows you will find on Paramount Plus
Current Seasons of CBS Shows
There is no need to have a cable TV subscription to catch your favorite CBS shows. Paramount Plus can stream the latest episode of current seasons to your living room TV one day after airing. You can watch the latest season of shows like Big Brother, NCIS, Evil, FBI, and more. The service provides the flexibility to watch what’s on CBS any time you like while providing original shows you won’t find on your regular CBS channel. Live CBS through Paramount Plus provides a way for many to watch local NFL games on Sunday.
CBS Live Streaming: In select markets,subscribers to the Paramount+ Premium Plan have acces to a live stream of their local CBS affiliate. Currently, Paramount Plus offers live content to over 200 markets. Furthermore, CBS is looking to grow that number. As I stated earlier, a list of those markets is available in this article.
As you can see, there are numerous ways to watch a ton of shows. In all, Paramount Plus provides access to over 7500 episodes of TV shows.
Stream ViacomCBS Shows on Demand
In July 2020, Paramount Plus added several on-demand shows from former Viacom channels, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Smithsonian Channel, and more. This increase in content leads up to the eventual rebrand of Paramount Plus into Paramount+ sometime next year. Some of the shows now available through Paramount Plus are:
- BET: All seasons of “Real Husbands of Hollywood,” “Hit the Floor,” plus all prior seasons of “Single Ladies” and more
- Comedy Central: All seasons of “Chappelle’s Show,” “Strangers with Candy,” six prior seasons of “Reno 911!” and more
- MTV: All seasons of “Laguna Beach” and “Snooki & Jwoww,” prior seasons of TEEN MOM 2, seasons of JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION and MTV FLORIBAMA SHORE, as well as a selection from THE CHALLENGE, “Beavis and Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection” and more
- Nickelodeon: All seasons of “Avatar: Last Airbender,” “Rugrats,” plus all prior seasons of SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS and more, in addition to seasons of “Danny Phantom,” “The Legend of Korra” and “Sam & Cat” that were previously available
- Smithsonian Channel: More than 60 episodes of “Aerial America,” seasons of “Air Disasters,” documentaries such as “The Day We Walked on the Moon,” “The Green Book: Guide to Freedom,” “MLK: The Assassination Tapes,” “Pocahontas: Beyond the Myth” and more
- TV Land and VH1: Programminglike “Hot in Cleveland,” as well as prior seasons of RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE and LOVE & HIP HOP and more
- Paramount Pictures: More films have been added to the service with with more than 150 movies in total now available
Original Content Coming to Paramount+
Below is some of the original content coming to Paramount+ that has been announced:
- The Offer, a scripted limited-event series telling the incredible story behind making the legendary “The Godfather” franchise from Paramount Television Studios.
- Frasier – Frasier’s back with Kelsey Grammer reprising his role as Dr. Frasier Crane.
- Lioness, a spy drama created by Taylor Sheridan (“Yellowstone”) with David Glasser, Nicole Kidman, and Jill Wagner set to executive produce.
- A new edition of Behind the Music from MTV.
- A revival of The Game as part of BET’s programming
- The Real Criminal Minds, a true-crime docuseries based on the hit CBS Television series.
- Kamp Koral, a new original children’s series from Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob Squarepants, and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
- Reno 911! The Hunt For QAnon will be a special event from the hit comedy series
- Avatar – A new Nickelodeon animation studio dedicated to creating content based on Avatar’s popular world: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.
- Halo – An original drama series based on the Xbox franchise dramatizing the war between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant.
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, which takes place on the U.S.S. Enterprise before the original series with Capt. Christopher Pike and Mr. Spock.
- A Yellowstone Prequel (Unfortunately, Yellowstone will not be on Paramount+. See how to watch Yellowstone for more information. )
- A Beavis & Butt-head Movie
- A Workaholics Movie
Stream Classic Shows
CBS owns the rights to more shows than you would think. If you are feeling nostalgic, Paramount Plus allows you to stream classics like Twin Peaks, Cheers, I Love Lucy, Wings, Taxi, and much more. Many of the classic shows are ad-free.
Paramount Plus also enables you to watch every episode of Star Trek ever made. At $9.99 per month, it’s an excellent deal for Trekkies. You can pick the service up for a month, binge on Trek, then dump it until you get another craving.
Overall, Paramount Plus on-demand has cut down on the number of ads you’ll be forced to see compared to watching CBS on cable or satellite TV. However, if you want to be commercial-free (aside from live CBS), you will need to subscribe to the $9.99 a month commercial-free package.
Watch Big Brother Live Feeds
I receive many questions about streaming episodes of Big Brother, specifically the Big Brother Live Feeds. Paramount Plus provides every single episode of Big Brother on demand, starting with the first season. Furthermore, All Access subscribers have access to behind-the-scenes Live Feeds content as part of their Paramount Plus subscription. Big Brother Live Feeds are available to all Paramount Plus Subscribers.
CBS Live Streaming
Below are answers to questions I often receive about Paramount Plus live streaming:
Can You Stream Live Sports on Paramount Plus?
Paramount Plus does offer some sports live in markets where live streaming is available. For example, NFL games airing on CBS will be available on Paramount Plus . However, due to licensing restrictions, some sporting events may not be available.
For those interested, I’ve written a more in-depth article on How to Watch Sports Without Cable.
Which Cities offer CBS Live Streaming?
According to CBS Support, subscribers to Paramount Plus premium plan offers live streaming of the local CBS channel in 99% of U.S. television markets. The following 206 locations offer live local CBS streaming through Paramount Plus):
- Abilene / Sweetwater, TX (KTAB)
- Albany, GA (WSWG)
- Albany / Schenectady, NY (WRGB)
- Albuquerque / Santa Fe, NM (KRQE)
- Alexandria, LA (KALB)
- Amarillo, TX (KFDA)
- Anchorage, AK (KTVA)
- Atlanta, GA (WGCL)
- Augusta, GA / Aiken, SC (WRDW)
- Austin, TX, (KEYE)
- Bakersfield, CA (KBAK)
- Baltimore, MD (WJZ)
- Bangor, ME (WABI)
- Baton Rouge, LA (WAFB)
- Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX (KFDM)
- Bend, OR (KBNZ)
- Birmingham, AL (WIAT)
- Binghamton, NY (WBNG)
- Billings, MT (KTVQ)
- Biloxi / Gulfport, MS (WLOX)
- Bluefield / Beckley / Oak Hill, WV (WVNS)
- Boise, ID (KBOI)
- Boston, MA / Manchester, NH (WBZ)
- Bowling Green, KY (WNKY)
- Bryan / College Station (KBTX)
- Buffalo, NY (WIVB)
- Burlington-Plattsburgh, NY (WCAX)
- Butte, MT (KXLF)
- Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City / Dubuque, IA (KGAN)
- Champaign and Sprngfld / Decatur, IL (WCIA)
- Charleston / Huntington, WV (WOWK)
- Charleston, SC (WCSC)
- Charlotte, NC (WBTV)
- Charlottesville, VA (WCAV)
- Chattanooga, TN (WDEF)
- Cheyenne / Scottsbluff, WY (KGWN)
- Chicago, IL (WBBM)
- Chico / Redding, CA (KHSL)
- Cincinnati, OH (WKRC)
- Clarksburg / Weston, WV (WDTV)
- Cleveland / Akron (Canton), OH (WOIO)
- Colorado Springs / Pueblo, CO (KKTV)
- Columbia / Jefferson City, MO (KRCG)
- Columbia, SC (WLTX)
- Columbus, GA / Opelika, AL (WRBL)
- Columbus, OH (WBNS)
- Columbus / Tupelo, MS (WCBI)
- Corpus-Christi, TX (KZTV)
- Dallas / Ft. Worth, TX (KTVT)
- Davenport, IA; Rock Island / Moline, IL (WHBF)
- Dayton, OH (WHIO)
- Denver, CO (KCNC)
- Des Moines / Ames, IA (KCCI)
- Detroit, MI (WWJ)
- Dothan, AL (WTVY)
- Duluth-Superior, MN (KBJR)
- Elmira (Corning), NY (WENY)
- El Paso (Las Cruces), TX (KDBC)
- Erie, PA (WSEE)
- Eugene (Coos Bay/Roseburg), OR (KVAL)
- Eureka, CA (KVIQ)
- Evansville, IN (WEVV)
- Fairbanks, AK (KXDF)
- Fargo / Valley City, ND (KVLY)
- Flint / Saginaw / Bay City, MI (WNEM)
- Fort Myers / Naples, FL (WINK)
- Fort Smith / Fayetteville / Springdale / Rogers, AR (KFSM)
- Fort Wayne, IN (WANE)
- Freeport, IL (WIFR)
- Fresno / Visilia, CA (KGPE)
- Gainesville, FL (WGFL)
- Grand Junction / Montrose, CO (KREX)
- Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo / Battle Creek, MI (WWMT)
- Great Falls, MT (KRTV)
- Green Bay / Appleton, WI (WFRV)
- Greensboro / High Point / Winston Salem, NC (WFMY)
- Greenville/New Bern/Washington, NC (WNCT)
- Greenville /Spartansburg, SC / Ashville, NC (WSPA)
- Greenwood-Greenville, MS (WXVT)
- Harlingen / Weslaco / Brownsville / McAllen, TX (KVEO)
- Harrisonburg, VA (WSVF-CD)
- Harrisburg / Lancaster / Lebanon / York, PA (WHP)
- Hartford / New Haven, CT (WFSB)
- Hattiesburg / Laurel, MS (WHLT)
- Honolulu, HI (KGMB)
- Houston, TX (KHOU)
- Huntsville / Decatur / Florence, AL (WHNT)
- Idaho Falls/Pocatello, ID/Jackson, WY (KIDK)
- Indianapolis / Kokomo, IN (WTTV)
- Jackson, MS (WJTV)
- Jackson, TN (WBBJ)
- Jacksonville, FL (WJAX)
- Johnstown / Altoona / State College, PA (WTAJ)
- Jonesboro, AR (KJNB)
- Joplin, MO / Pittsburg, KS (KOAM)
- Juneau (Sitka/Ketchikan), AK (KTVA)
- Kansas City, MO (KCTV)
- Knoxville, TN (WVLT)
- La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI (WKBT)
- Lafayette, IN (WLFI)
- Lafayette, LA (KLFY)
- Lake Charles, LA (KSWL-LD)
- Lansing, MI (WLNS)
- Laredo, TX (KYLX)
- Las Vegas, NV (KLAS)
- Lexington / Hazard, KY (WKYT)
- Lexington, KY (WYMT)
- Lima, OH (WOHL-CD)
- Little Rock / Pine Bluff, AR (KTHV)
- Lincoln / Hastings / Kearney, NE (Grand Island) – KOLN
- Los Angeles, CA (KCBS)
- Louisville, KY (WLKY)
- Lubbock, TX (KLBK)
- Macon, GA (WMAZ)
- Madison, WI (WISC)
- Mankato, MN (KEYC)
- Marquette / Escanaba, MI (WJMN)
- Medford / Klamath Falls, OR (KTVL)
- Memphis, TN (WREG)
- Meridian, MS (WMDN)
- Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL (WFOR)
- Milwaukee, WI (WDJT)
- Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN (WCCO)
- Minot / Bismarck, ND (KXMC)
- Missoula, MT (KPAX)
- Mobile, AL / Pensacola, FL (WKRG)
- Monroe, LA / El Dorado, AR (KNOE)
- Monterey-Salinas, CA (KION)
- Montgomery / Selma, AL (WAKA)
- Myrtle Beach / Florence, SC (WBTW)
- Nashville, TN (WTVF)
- New Orleans, LA (WWL)
- New York, NY (WCBS)
- Norfolk / Portsmouth / Newport News, VA (WTKR)
- North Platte, NE (KNPL)
- Odessa / Midland, TX (KOSA)
- Oklahoma City, OK (KWTV)
- Omaha, NE (KMTV)
- Orlando / Daytona Beach / Melbourne, FL (WKMG)
- Ottumwa, IA / Kirksville, MO (KTVO)
- Paducah-Cape Girard-Harsbg, GA (KFVS)
- Palm Springs, CA (KPSP)
- Panama City, FL (WECP-LD)
- Parkersburg, WV (WIYE-LD)
- Peoria / Bloomington, IL (WMBD)
- Philadelphia, PA (KYW)
- Phoenix (Prescott), AZ (KPHO)
- Pittsburgh, PA (KDKA)
- Portland, ME (WGME)
- Portland, OR (KOIN)
- Presque Isle, ME (WAGM)
- Providence / New Bedford, RI (WPRI)
- Quincy, IL / Hannibal, MO / Keokuk, IA (KHQA)
- Raleigh / Durham (Fayetteville), NC (WNCN)
- Rapid City, SD (KCLO)
- Reno, NV (KTVN)
- Richmond / Petersburg, VA (WTVR)
- Roanoke / Lynchburg (WDBJ)
- Rochester, MN / Mason City, IA / Austin, MN (KIMT)
- Rochester, NY (WROC)
- St. Joseph, MO (KCJO-LD)
- Sacramento / Stockton / Modesto, CA (KOVR)
- Saint Louis, MO (KMOV)
- Salisbury, MD (WBOC)
- Salt Lake City, UT (KUTV)
- San Angelo, TX (KLST)
- San Antonio, TX (KENS)
- San Diego, CA (KFMB)
- San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose, CA (KPIX)
- Santa Barbara, CA (KCOY)
- Savannah, GA (WTOC)
- Seattle / Tacoma, WA (KIRO)
- Sherman, TX / Ada, OK (KXII)
- Shreveport, LA (KSLA)
- Sioux City, IA (KMEG)
- Sioux Falls / Mitchell, SD (KELO)
- South Bend / Elkhart, IN (WSBT)
- Spokane, WA (KREM)
- Springfield / Holyoke, MA (WSHM)
- Springfield, MO (KOLR)
- Syracuse, NY (WTVH)
- Tallahassee, FL / Thomasville, GA (WCTV)
- Tampa /St. Petersburg / Sarasota, FL (WTSP)
- Terre Haute, IN (WTHI)
- Toledo, OH (WTOL)
- Topeka, KS (WIBW)
- Traverse City / Cadillac, MI (WWTV)
- Tri-Cities, TN / Johnson City, VA (WJHL)
- Tucson (Sierra Vista), AZ (KOLD)
- Tulsa, OK (KOTV)
- Twin Falls, ID (KMVT)
- Tyler / Longview, TX (KYTX)
- Utica, NY (WKTV)
- Waco / Temple / Bryan, TX (KWTX)
- Washington, DC (WUSA)
- Watertown, NY(WWNY)
- Wausau / Rhinelander, WI (WSAW)
- West Palm Beach / Ft. Pierce, FL (WPEC)
- Wheeling / Steubenville, OH (WTRF)
- Wichita / Hutchinson Plus, KS (KWCH)
- Wichita Falls, TX / Lawton, OK (KAUZ)
- Wilkes Barre / Scranton, PA (WYOU)
- Wilmington, NC (WWAY)
- Yakima / Pasco / Ricchland / Kennewick, WA (KIMA)
- Youngstown, OH (WKBN)
- Yuma, AZ / El Centro, CA (KYMA)
Is Paramount Plus Worth the Cost
Paramount Plus has demonstrated it can make high-quality premium television like Star Trek: Discovery. The streaming service also fills a need for those looking for content in the CBS vault or other ViacomCBS Networks like BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures, and Smithsonian Channel. Fans of shows on these networks should have no problem realizing the value of Paramount Plus right now. The addition off the upcoming original exclusive content on Paramount+ will only increase the services value.
Furthermore, if you lack a TV antenna and live in one of the live markets, then Paramount Plus may be just what you need. If you couple it with a service like Hulu’s Streaming library ($5.99 per month), you have an On-Demand solution for a lot of shows on network and cable TV channels.
CBS.com airs episodes of current shows, but you can only watch on your browser. You can also wait out a 5-day delay for new shows to air on your mobile device. But if you can’t wait, or want to stream to your television with a Roku or other streaming device, then you may want to consider picking up the service.
Paramount Plus is worth the money for those looking for a way to get next-day CBS Prime Time shows and don’t have an antenna. It’s also worth it for those looking for the archive of ViacomeCBS content on demand. If that doesn’t sound like you, then you may be disappointed. However, there is a free trial for everyone that signs up, so there isn’t any risk in giving it a try. And after the trial, it’s one of the more affordable streaming services. Considering Paramount Plus as a whole, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to join our Facebook Page.