On May 27th, HBO Now will be folded into AT&T’s newest streaming service, HBO Max. There will likely be many questions for existing HBO Now Subscribers, so I wanted to share all we know and get our readers a few answers.
What Is HBO Max?
HBO Maxis a new streaming service from AT&T launching on May 27th, 2020. AT&T owns both HBO and WarnerMedia. HBO Max is going to combine the content from both of those brands into one streaming service.
The service will have the following content at launch:
- All of HBO
- An exclusive collection of new HBO Max Originals
- Select favorites from the WarnerMedia brands Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, DC, CNN, the Turner library, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more
- A selection of acquired series and movies
How Does Will HBO Max Cost?
New Subscribers that pre-order HBO Max before the May 27th launch can get 1 year of HBO Max for $11.99 per month. At launch, the service will cost the same as an HBO Now subscription, $11.99
Which Devices will HBO Max Support?
On it’s May 27th launch HBO Max will support the following platforms:
- Android phones and tablets
- Android TV
- Apple TV (4th generation and later)
- Computers (PC and Mac browsers)
- Apple iOS devices: iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
How to Watch HBO Max
If you subscribe to HBO Now through Apple or Google Play, and use any of the devices supported at launch, your HBO Now Login will work on through on the HBO Max app. Here is what to expect on May 27th on these supported devices:
- Your HBO App should update to the HBO Max app. If it doesn’t, just download HBO Max from the appropriate app store for your device.
- Open the HBO Max. You shouldn’t need to log in. If you do, your HBO Now credentials will work.
- After agreeing to the terms of service, HBO Max will present you with the following two options:
- Access All of HBO Max – This option will give you access to HBO along with all the additional WarnerMedia and other content
- Access HBO Only – This will provide you will access to only HBO content. If you choose a show or movie not available on HBO, the app will prompt you to upgrade to the HBO Max account.
Considering HBO Max will cost the same most are currently paying for HBO Now, I don’t currently see a downside to taking the HBO Max option. Considering the price is paid monthly, you can cancel anytime. Therefore, there is no obvious way to get caught in a price hike trap.
What If you Don’t Have a Device Supported by HBO Max
If you use a Roku or other device not supported by HBO max, existing HBO Now subscribers can still watch HBO. The HBO Now app will still be available on devices not supported by HBO Max. HBO Now subscribers will also be able to watch HBO through HBONOW.com.
Watch HBO Max Free and Other Deals
With AT&T owning HBO Max, there are plenty of ways to get the service free for a time. However, like many things AT&T, figuring out what you are entitled to can be a bit complicated. Here is a breakdown of on who can watch HBO Max free of charge.
HBO Max is included at no additional charge in the following AT&T TV, Internet and Wireless plans:
- AT&T Internet 1000 plan
- These TV Plans:
- AT&T TV Now Max packages
- U-Verse U400, U450, and U450 Latino
- DirecTV Premier
- Lo Maximo
- AT&T TV Premiere package
- AT&T Unlimited Elite wireless plan
You Can Get 3 Months of HBO Max Free if with the following AT&T products:
- TV Plans not mentioned above except for DirecTV Family, U-Family, U-Basic and AT&T TV Now Plus
You can get 1 month of HBO Max free with any of these AT&T services:
- new and existing customers (HBO Max one-month free trial)
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to join our Facebook Page.
Disney+ is offering an amazing deal combining Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ for just $12.99 per month! For more on the new Disney streaming service, check out our ultimate guide to Disney+
Right now you can get 6 months of Starz for only $25. That's less than $4.25 per month! See offer details.