If you’re looking to stream to your TV and have a game console, you likely already have a way to watch streaming apps on your TV without having to purchase a streaming device.
Years ago, when my family cut the cord and ditched our cable subscription, we tested the waters by streaming on an Xbox 360 we owned. Today, you can do the same with Xbox One/Series X|S and Playstation 4/5. Both of these consoles support most streaming apps, and they are already connected to your television, so why not?
Set up Xbox and PlayStation for Streaming
– Sign up for the streaming service you want to use. We have a great breakdown of various streaming services in our guide to cable TV alternatives.
– If not already done, connect your console to your home network. Your game console will need to be connected to the internet to stream. I’ve linked the appropriate guides for each platform.
- Connect Xbox One to Your Network
- Connect Xbox Series X|S to Your Network
- Connect Playstation 4|5 to Home Network
– Log into your game console. You likely already have an Xbox account or a PSN account for PlayStation. I’ve linked the appropriate page below if you do not already have one.
Installing Streaming Apps on Xbox
Follow the instructions below to install streaming apps on your Xbox:
- Press the Xbox button on your Xbox controller
- navigate to the “Store.”
- At this point, you can either
- Search for the app you want using the “Search” panel
- Navigate to Browse on the left menu > Apps > Entertainment apps and browse for the streaming app you want to install
- Select the app
- Select Install, and the app will install
Once the app is installed, open it and log in with the username and password you used when signing up for the app. You can now start streaming video on Xbox through that app.
Installing Streaming Apps on PlayStation
Follow the instructions below to install streaming apps on your PlayStation:
- Select the PlayStation Store from the home menu
- Select “Search” from the menu
- Type the name of the streaming app
- Select the app from the list on the right
- Select Download
Once the app is installed, it can be accessed from the “TV and Video” section of the Home Screen. Open it and log in with the username and password you used when signing up for the app. You can now start streaming videos on your PlayStation through that app.
This Is The First Step to Cutting The Cord
Back when I had cable TV, my family tried streaming on our Xbox 360 for a few weeks. We were so pleased with the services, and we no longer saw a need for cable TV. After a few weeks, we dropped cable altogether. If you are interested in learning how to drop your cable subscription completely, check out my cord-cutting guide. It provides a comprehensive view of what needs to be considered and the steps required to leave your cable bill behind.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to join our Facebook Page.
With over 60 live channels including HGTV, AMC, Paramount Channel and more for just $20 per month, Philo TV is one of the best TV provider deals you 'll find online. Try a Free Trial to Philo Now! No credit card required!
Disney+ is offering an amazing deal combining Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ for just $13.99 per month! For more on the new Disney streaming service, check out our ultimate guide to Disney+