Short Answer: Subscribers to Max can watch Max on Three devices simultaneously. There are no limits to the number of devices you can be logged into. However, only three videos may be streamed to one account at a time.
This article will explain a workaround you can use to watch Max on more than three devices at once, and give a little more detail on the simultaneous streams limit and other profile related information.
Watching Max On Multiple Devices
You can install the Max app on as many devices as you like, but by default, all Max plans allow subscribers to watch or stream Max content on three different devices simultaneously. That includes mobile devices outside the home as long as the total number doesn’t exceed three.
The Max with ads plan for $9.99/month and the Max without ads plan for $15.99/month have this three simultaneous streams limit. The major difference between these plans is listed below.
- You will have to watch a maximum of 4 minutes of ads per hour with the $9.99 plan.
- Movies released on Max during their theatrical release are not available to watch on the ad-supported plan $9.99 plan.
- You can’t download content for offline viewing on the $9.99 plan.
- Video quality is capped at 1080p with the $9.99 plan(Very little 4K video exist on Max anyway)
We cover the plans in more detail in the Max Plans section of our review.
Max Simultaneous Stream Limit Workaround
Contrary to what some say online, there doesn’t seem to be a limit to the number of logins you’re allowed on your Max account. I’ve tested this workaround personally and was logged into the same Max account on well over 3 devices simultaneously. The error only occurs when you are streaming video on more than three devices at the same time. Therefore, if your household needs to watch Max on more than 3 devices simultaneously, download a show or movie to a mobile device before other household members start streaming (Please not you can only download videos to Max with the Max without ads plan for $15.99/month). You can download Max content to your mobile device by following these steps:
- On your mobile device, open the Max App
- Select the content you’d like to download
- Click the Download button
- When the download completes, your content will be available to watch on the device.
If your household is streaming a Max show on 3 devices, you can still open and browse the Max app. Just go to your the Downloads tab in your profile in the Max app (It’s the symbol that looks like a down arrow), select the downloaded show, and select play, and you’re now watching on more than 3 devices. Since you are allowed to have 30 downloaded videos on your Max account, you can download content to up to 30 different devices. This technically means yo you should be able to watch on up to 33 devices at once (Three can stream on Max, while 30 mobile devices can watch a downloaded show or movie.
Max supports the following platforms:
- Android phones and tablets
- Android TV
- Apple TV (4th generation and later)
- Computers (PC and Mac browsers)
- Apple iOS devices: iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Amazon Fire TV (As of Nov 17)
- PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
- Samsung TVs (2016 and later)
- Max is now supported on Roku
- Max is now supported on LG Smart TV.
Max’s “Streaming on Too Many Devices” Error
If you try and exceed any of the screen limits mentioned above, you will receive an error message indicating you are watching on too many devices at the same time through your Max account. If you receive this error that means you are either watching on three devices at the same time, or someone else is. To see which devices have recently been used you can do the following:
- Sign in to HBO Max on your phone, tablet, or computer.
- Do one of the following:
- Phone or tablet: Tap the Profile icon and then the Settings icon (upper-left corner).
- Computer: In the upper-right corner, choose your profile icon.
- Choose Manage Devices. A list of devices that you’ve recently used appears under Other Devices
If all the devices in the list are yours, verify that you don’t still have a stream running on them. If you don’t recognize a device on the list, then it’s possible someone is using your Max account without your permission. You can take a look at this help page to assist you if someone may be using your account without your knowledge.
How many Profiles Can You Have on Max
I wanted to mention Max profiles before wrapping up briefly. Profiles are associated with your Max account, not a specific device. Any device you use to log onto Max will have access to the profiles associated with your Max account. Each Max account can have up to six separate profiles allowing personalization, favorites, and recommendations unique to each viewer in your household. A primary profile for your account is automatically created during the signup process. After that, you can create up to four additional Profiles within your account for a total of five.