Remember when you could turn on Discovery, The Learning Channel, or the History Channel and actually learn something? Those days on cable TV are long gone. The documentary TV networks of old have heavily invested in cookie cutter reality and entertainment-based programming. However, there is a documentary online streaming service that will satiate those with a hunger for knowledge.
What is CuriosityStream
CuriosityStream is an ad-free online documentary channel that features exclusive non-fiction documentaries and series about science, technology, history, and nature. It’s directed at those with a
It’s been called the “Netflix of Documentaries.” The service provides over 1000 documentaries featuring experts including Stephen Hawking, David Attenborough, John Silva, and more.
CuriosityStream is free to try for 1 week, so there is no risk in trying out the service. After the free trial, it’s only $2.99 per month to subscribe to their standard definition service. If you prefer high-quality video, the high definition and UHD 4K video subscriptions are $5.99 and $11.99 per month. While you can opt for a no-contract subscription, signing up annually will provide a bit of a discount (currently about 16% off). You can also sign-up for CuriosityStream through Sling TV!
CuriosityStream provides documentaries from top documentary studios like BBC, NHK, TerraNova, ZED, and more. Furthermore, they produce their own original documentary content at Curiosity Studios.
CuriosityStream is built for those that miss how Discovery and History channel used to be. It’s a streaming service for those that love documentaries. Here is a list of the type content you see
- Miniverse, featuring Chris Hadfield, Michio Kaku, Derrick Pitts, Laura Danly
- Stephen Hawking’s Favorite Places, featuring Stephen Hawking
- David Attenborough’s Light On Earth, featuring David Attenborough
- Deep Time History, featuring Jonathan Markley
- Prescription: Nutrition, featuring Michael Greger
- Destination: Pluto, featuring Alan Stern
- Destination Mars, featuring Peter Diamandis
- The Road To The Singularity, featuring Jason Silva
- Transhumanism, featuring Jason Silva
- Digits, featuring Derek Muller, Edward Snowden, Vint Cerf
Content From Other Networks
- Genius by Stephen Hawking with Stephen Hawking
- Next World with Michio Kaku
- The Secrets of Quantum Physics with Jim Al-Khalili
- Wild Weather with Richard Hammond
- The Nano Revolution
- Destination Mars featuring Peter Diamandis
- Cosmic Front
- The Human Face Of Big Data
The following devices are currently supported to stream documentaries via CuriosityStream.
- Any laptop, desktop, PC, or Mac via a modern web browser (NEW: You can now add the CuriosityStream Chrome extension for easy access to the web app)
- iPhones, iPods, and iPads with iOS 7 or higher installed
- Apple TV, with AppleTV app or via AirPlay
- Any Android device running Android version 4.0.3 or higher
- Chromecast via either the Chrome browser, Android or iOS devices.
- Roku Devices (with the exception of Roku 1)
- Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Amazon Kindle devices (2012 or later)
- Android TV running Android version 4.1 and up
CuriosityStream fills a very underserved niche in regard to the ability to watch documentaries online. The quality of service is top notch. I was pleased with the apps responsiveness and load times. There was no noticeable buffering. However, I opted for the $2.99 SD stream. With the ability to try the service free for 1 week, there is little risk in signing up and giving the service a try.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to join our Facebook Page.
With over 60 live channels including HGTV, AMC, Paramount Channel and more for just $20 per month, Philo TV is one of the best TV provider deals you 'll find online. Try a Free Trial to Philo Now! No credit card required!
Disney+ is offering an amazing deal combining Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ for just $12.99 per month! For more on the new Disney streaming service, check out our ultimate guide to Disney+