Dear Mama is a five-part docuseries that explores the lives and legacies of Afeni and Tupac Shakur, mother and son, in a deeply personal look at their political ideals and representation of Black activism. In the 1970s, Afeni Shakur was a revolutionary, an intellect, and a feminist icon amid the macho milieu of the Black Panther Party. Her son, Tupac, was a rapper and poet, a political visionary and philosopher. One of the greatest rap artists of all time, he was known for his outspoken and sometimes outrageous antics, but eventually became the symbol of modern Black activism. Their story chronicles their work, finding links between mother and son, from the 1970s to the 1990s, from black activism to hip hop. This article will tell you how to watch any episode of Dear Mama, even if you don’t have cable TV.
- When does Dear Mama premiere: Dear Mama premieres Friday, April 21, at 10:00 p.m. ET with the first two episodes.
- When to Watch: New episodes of Dear Mama air on Fridays at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- TV Network: Dear Mama airs on FX.
- Best Way to New Episodes: New episodes are available on Hulu’s streaming library one day after airing on FX (30-day free trial). If you want to watch Dear Mama the night it airs, all of the following streaming services carry FX and have a free trial:
Best Place to Watch Dear Mama Without Cable
Hulu is the best streaming service for watching new and old episodes of Dear Mama. If you don’t mind waiting one day, you can watch new episodes of Dear Mama on Hulu On-Demand. All episodes from previous seasons of Dear Mama are also available on Hulu’s on-demand service. The price for Hulu on-demand starts at only $7.99 per month after a 30-day free trial.
That’s a considerable saving compared to the Hulu + Live TV service, which starts at $76.99. Since you only have to wait one extra day to watch new episodes of Dear Mama, I recommend picking up the much more affordable Hulu on-demand service to watch Dear Mama. However, if you must watch Dear Mama at the time it airs on FX, then you will need to go with Hulu + Live TV service. (Hulu On-Demand is included with Hulu+Live TV)
Below are the various packages Hulu offers that will allow you to watch every episode of Dear Mama:
- Hulu with commercials ($7.99 per month): This is the least expensive plan Hulu offers. This will allow you to watch the current and all past seasons of Dear Mama on demand. New episodes of Dear Mama are available to stream on Hulu one day after they air on FX (Thursdays). This package also provides access to the entire Hulu library, the on-demand Hulu feature providing various TV shows on network TV, cable, and all the Hulu Originals. There are commercials throughout the shows. This plan also allows subscribers to receive 1-year of Hulu for a discounted price.
- Hulu – commercial-free ($7.99 per month): For $17.99 per month, you get Hulu on-demand without commercials. (Due to network arrangements, Grey’s Anatomy, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and How To Get Away With Murder will always have commercials)
- Hulu + Live TV ($76.99 per month): This plan provides the Hulu Streaming Library (with ads) and linear TV service for over 65 channels typically found on network and cable television. The lineup includes FX, so you can watch new episodes of Dear Mama when they air on FX every Wednesday. All episodes of Dear Mama will be available on-demand with this service as well. This plan provides the ability to watch on 2 devices at once, 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage, and more.
Hulu is supported on Roku, Fire TV Devices, Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, iOS, Android, and more. See our review of Hulu for more details and information on this streaming service.
Other Ways to Watch Dear Mama
If you are just looking to watch new episodes and want to watch them on FX as they air, the following streaming services have FX in their channel lineup.
- Sling TV – Sling TV offers a promotion for new customers and carries FX. See our review of Sling for more details.
- FuboTV – Carries FX. See our review of FuboTV for more details.
- Vidgo – Carries FX and offers a 1-week free trial. We have the full details in our Vidgo Review.
- DIRECTV STREAM – Carries FX. Learn more through this online offer or read about it in our DIRECTV STREAM review.
- YouTube TV – offers a 1-week free trial. Check our review of YouTube TV for more details.