Mohu, the maker of the Mohu Sky, unveiled the Mohu AirWave at last year’s CES. The AirWave is the first of its kind OTA Antenna that works over your wi-fi network. At the Time Mohu announced the AirWave would be released this spring. It appears Mohu will not make that target. However, they have announced that the AirWave will be available for purchase on October 8th.
The AirWave is an OTA antenna can be placed anywhere for optimal reception and then streams the OTA signal over your home network. Any device on the network can then pick up the stream and watch TV over the air for free!
The AirWave is will be available in Spring of 2017 and will retail for $149.99. At launch, AirWave is compatible with the following video streaming devices on the market, including:
- Amazon Fire TV and Stick
- Apple TV (4th generation)
- Roku’s entire lineup from Express to Ultra
- Modern Web Browsers
AirWave wirelessly connects to the Mohu TV application (available for free across all compatible devices), which allows users to channel up and down through live broadcast content and free streaming content in a familiar, cable-like TV guide. According to the original press release, the AirWave provides features such as:
- Combine OTA and OTT content: The device combines live, local channels with streaming video in a cable-like program guide, complete with program descriptions, ability to select favorite channels and view up to 14 days of upcoming content.
- First Wireless Antenna: No coax needed. Users can set up AirWave anywhere in a home where there is an Internet connection, giving users the freedom to set up the device where they choose.
- Free TV Everywhere: Watch TV across your favorite connected devices, including Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, iOS, Android and the web.
- ClearPixTM Technology: Proprietary, first-of-its-kind dynamic pixelation reduction technology automatically adjusts to improve image reception of over-the-air broadcasts.
I for one am excited to test this device. I’ve reached out to Mohu and hopefully will get my hands on one soon. I’ll publish a full review as soon as I do.
I know many of people who are turned off to using a TV Antenna because they feel the installation is too much of a hassle. Hopefully, the Mohu AirWave will be just with these people need to enjoy free TV over the air.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, check out the Cord Cutting Guide. It provides links to the most important articles in our over 200 pages of content to help you ditch pay TV.
If you enjoyed this article, please Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. It goes out every Thursday and keeps you up to date on information relevant to cord cutters. Subscribing will also inform you on the latest deals out there for internet, streaming, and more.