The new documentary series, Origins of Hip Hop, premieres on Monday, May 30, at 10:00 p.m. ET on A&E, and then will air Tuesdays at 10:00 p.m. beginning June 6. From Mass Appeal, the team behind Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men and Rapture, comes an exploration of many of hip hop’s leading stars, sharing the experiences that made them the legends they are. Reflecting on their journeys and evolutions are Busta Rhymes, Eve, Fat Joe, Grandmaster Flash, Ice-T, Ja Rule, Lil Jon, and Uncle Luke, with narration by renowned rapper Nas. Read on for how to watch Origins of Hip Hop without cable.
- When Does it Premiere: Origins of Hip Hop premieres on Monday, May 30, at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- When Does it Air: After its Monday premiere, Origins of Hip Hop airs on Tuesdays at 10:00 p.m. ET beginning June 6.
- TV Network: Origins of Hip Hop airs on A&E.
- Best Way to Stream Live: A&E is available on Philo (1-week free trial) and Frndly TV (1-week trial.) You can read more about both of these live TV streaming services below.
How to Watch Origins of Hip Hop
The streaming services that carry A&E are Philo, Sling TV, Hulu Live TV, and DIRECTV STREAM, making them all options on where to watch episodes of Origins of Hip Hop. With them, you can watch A&E, just as if you had cable. Information on those services and how to sign up for each is listed below.
Philo is The Best Way to Watch Origins of Hip Hop
Philo is a great value for those looking to stream Origins of Hip Hop on A&E. Philo provides access to A&E as well as several other channels for $25/month. See our complete list of channels on Philo. You can check out a free trial to Philo and see if the service will meet your needs. Philo also includes a cloud DVR for you to record shows to watch later.
You can also sign in to the A&E app with your Philo credentials to watch episodes. Be sure to check out our review of Philo for more information on the service.
Origins of Hip Hop on Frndly TV
Frndly TV is the most affordable way to watch Origins of Hip Hop on A&E live and other channels like Game Show Network, Hallmark Channel, QVC, and The Weather Channel. A subscription to Frndly TV starts at $6.99 per month. However, we find their $8.99 per month “Classic Plan” is the best value as it includes the following:
- Over 20 of Channels Live TV & On-Demand
- HD Video Quality
- Watch on 2 Screens at a Time
- Unlimited DVR recordings. You can keep recordings for 3 Months
- Supported on Apple TV, Roku, Roku TVs, Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android and iOS mobile devices, and most major web browsers
Origins of Hip Hop on Sling TV
Sling TV provides a live stream of A&E, so you can watch Origins of Hip Hop just as if you had cable. The channel is available on both of Sling’s core package (Blue or Orange), each costing $40 per month. Sling includes a cloud DVR so that you can record shows for later.
Sling TV is available on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, and more, so it’s not a problem to enjoy A&E on a TV, tablet, computer, or other smart devices. There are more channels available on Sling TV than what I’ve mentioned here. To find out more about what Sling TV offers and more information about Sling TV device compatibility, check out this detailed review of Sling TV.
The review includes information on a Sling TV free trial and ways to get discounted (and free) streaming devices, so be sure to check it out.
Origins of Hip Hop on Hulu Live TV
Hulu is another way to stream Origins of Hip Hop on A&E. Previously, Hulu was known for its vast on-demand streaming library. They have recently added a Hulu Live TV service for $76.99 a month that offers Live A&E Online Streaming. Hulu Live TV is one of the best live TV streaming services available. It includes the following features:
- Discovery and 60+ other channels including local network channels.
- Price includes a subscription to ESPN+ and Disney+
- Unlimited cloud DVR storage. (Recordings save for 9 months)
- Watch on 2 screens at once. (Upgrades available)
- Comes with 6 customizable profiles
- Includes entire Hulu streaming library
- Supports iOS, Android, Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, and more.
Origins of Hip Hop on DIRECTV STREAM
DIRECTV STREAM is another way you can watch Origins of Hip Hop on A&E. Channel packages with A&E start at $79.99 per month and they provide a 5-day free trial. A subscription to DIRECTV STREAM includes the following:
- watch 20 streams simultaneously per subscription
- a cloud-based DVR
- channels like A&E and more
- supported on Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Amazon FireTV, and more
Watch A&E for Free
Some of the streaming services that carry A&E offer a free trial. You can take advantage of those and watch free A&E. Let’s look at the free trials available.
- Philo – offers a 1-week free trial
- Frndly TV – offers a 1-week trial
- DIRECTV STREAM – Watch with this 5-day free trial.
As long as you cancel before the free trial expires, you won’t be charged. If you get creative with email addresses and payment methods, you could watch free A&E even longer. Doing this would also let you test out the various live TV streaming services to see which one you like the best.