In this article, we cover what CBS All Access is and what it provides for TV viewers. We cover what you can watch on CBS All Access and ultimately help you decide if CBS All Access is worth your money.
- What is CBS All Access
- CBS All Access Device Support
- What’s on CBS All Access
- CBS Live Streaming
- The Cons to CBS All Access
- Is CBS All Access Worth the Cost
What is CBS All Access
CBS All Access is a subscription-based premium video streaming service providing exclusive original TV shows on-demand, a live stream of local CBS stations, and an immense library of other on-demand TV shows. CBS All Access is the only place you can watch the latest episodes of CBS All Access exclusives like The Good Fight, Star Trek: Picard, and Strange Angel. Ultimately, CBS ALL Access provides a way to stream your local CBS TV station live while also offering thousands of episodes of TV shows on-demand.
How much does CBS All Access Cost?
A subscription to CBS All Access costs $5.99 per month, with limited commercial breaks during on-demand viewing. You can also subscribe to an ad-free plan for $9.99 per month and watch on-demand content commercial-free. Live streams of CBS local TV stations will have commercial breaks with both plans.
Can You Watch CBS All Access on More Than One Device?
You can watch CBS All Access on any supported device you own. However, you can only watch CBS All Access on a maximum of 2 simultaneous streams. For example, you can install the CBS All Access app on every device in your home, but you can only watch CBS All Access on 2 of those at the same time.
What Video Resolution does CBS All Access Support?
Subscribers to the $9.99 Commercial Free plan can watch in Dolby Vision and HDR (HDR10) if the episode has it enabled. CBS All Access supports these video formats on Amazon Fire TV (4K Stick, Cube), Android TV (on HDR/DV Capable TV), and Apple TV 4K HDR (5th Gen) devices. Dolby Vision and/or HDR10 enabled content will be marked with badges on the show page.
What Audio Quality Does CBS All Access Support?
Surround sound is available on select shows on Apple TV (Gen 3 or Later), Chromecast, Android TV, and Xbox. These devices must be connected via HDMI to a TV or receiver capable of decoding Dolby Audio.
CBS All Access Plans and Prices
|CBS Live (in 200+ markets) and On Demand with ads|
|CBS Live (in 200+ markets) and On Demand without ads|
CBS All Access Device Support
If you are on the go, CBS All Access streams to smartphones and tablets with the CBS App. It’s available on iPhone, iPad, all Android phones and tablets.
What’s on CBS All Access
Below are all the various TV shows you will find on CBS All Access
Current Seasons of CBS Shows
There is no need to have a cable TV subscription to catch your favorite CBS shows. CBS All Access can stream the latest episode of current seasons to your living room TV one day after airing. You can watch the latest season of shows like Big Brother, NCIS, Evil, FBI, and more. The service provides the flexibility to watch what’s on CBS any time you like while providing original shows you won’t find on your regular CBS channel. Live CBS through CBS all access provides a way for many to watch local NFL games on Sunday.
Stream ViacomCBS Shows on Demand
In July 2020, CBS All Access added several on-demand shows from former Viacom channels, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Smithsonian Channel, and more. This increase in content leads up to the eventual rebrand of CBS All Access into Paramount+ sometime next year. Some of the shows now available through CBS All Access are:
- BET: All seasons of “Real Husbands of Hollywood,” “Hit the Floor,” plus all prior seasons of “Single Ladies” and more
- Comedy Central: All seasons of “Chappelle’s Show,” “Strangers with Candy,” six prior seasons of “Reno 911!” and more
- MTV: All seasons of “Laguna Beach” and “Snooki & Jwoww,” prior seasons of TEEN MOM 2, seasons of JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION and MTV FLORIBAMA SHORE, as well as a selection from THE CHALLENGE, “Beavis and Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection” and more
- Nickelodeon: All seasons of “Avatar: Last Airbender,” “Rugrats,” plus all prior seasons of SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS and more, in addition to seasons of “Danny Phantom,” “The Legend of Korra” and “Sam & Cat” that were previously available
- Smithsonian Channel: More than 60 episodes of “Aerial America,” seasons of “Air Disasters,” documentaries such as “The Day We Walked on the Moon,” “The Green Book: Guide to Freedom,” “MLK: The Assassination Tapes,” “Pocahontas: Beyond the Myth” and more
- TV Land and VH1: Programminglike “Hot in Cleveland,” as well as prior seasons of RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE and LOVE & HIP HOP and more
- Paramount Pictures: More films have been added to the service with with more than 150 movies in total now available
Stream Classic Shows
CBS owns the rights to more shows than you would think. If you are feeling nostalgic, CBS All Access allows you to stream classics like Twin Peaks, Cheers, I Love Lucy, Wings, Taxi, and much more. Many of the classic shows are ad-free.
CBS All Access also enables you to watch every episode of Star Trek ever made. At $5.99 per month, it’s an excellent deal for Trekkies. You can pick the service up for a month, binge on Trek, then dump it until you get another craving.
Also, CBS all access is going to carry some exclusive and original content. In September 2017, Star Trek Discovery premiered. Season 3 will launch sometime in early 2020. You can only catch these originals on CBS All Access
Overall, CBS All Access on-demand has cut down on the number of ads you’ll be forced to see compared to watching CBS on cable or satellite TV. However, if you want to be commercial-free (aside from live CBS), you will need to subscribe to the $9.99 a month commercial-free package.
CBS Live Streaming: In select markets, CBS All Access provides a live CBS stream. Currently, CBS All Access offers live content to over 200 markets. Furthermore, CBS is looking to grow that number. As I stated earlier, a list of those markets is available in this article.
As you can see, there are numerous ways to watch a ton of shows. In all, CBS All Access provides access to over 7500 episodes of TV shows.
Watch Big Brother Online
I receive many questions about streaming episodes of Big Brother, specifically the Big Brother Live Feeds. CBS All Access provides every single episode of Big Brother on demand, starting with the first season. Furthermore, All Access subscribers have access to behind the scenes Live Feeds content as part of their CBS All Access subscription.
CBS All Access Live streaming isn’t required to take advantage of the live feeds. Big Brother Live Feeds are available to all CBS All Access Subscribers.
CBS Live Streaming
Below are answers to questions I often receive about CBS All Access live streaming:
Can You Stream Live Sports on CBS All Access?
CBS All Access does offer some sports live in markets where live streaming is available. For example, NFL games airing on CBS will be available if CBS All Access carries your local CBS channel live. However, due to licensing restrictions, some sporting events may not be available.
For those interested, I’ve written a more in-depth article on How to Watch Sports Without Cable.
Which Cities offer CBS Live Streaming?
According to CBS Support, CBS All Access offers live streaming of the local CBS channel in 99% of U.S. television markets. The following 206 locations offer live local CBS streaming through CBS All Access (Updated November 17, 2020):
- Abilene / Sweetwater, TX (KTAB)
- Albany, GA (WSWG)
- Albany / Schenectady, NY (WRGB)
- Albuquerque / Santa Fe, NM (KRQE)
- Alexandria, LA (KALB)
- Amarillo, TX (KFDA)
- Anchorage, AK (KTVA)
- Atlanta, GA (WGCL)
- Augusta, GA / Aiken, SC (WRDW)
- Austin, TX, (KEYE)
- Bakersfield, CA (KBAK)
- Baltimore, MD (WJZ)
- Bangor, ME (WABI)
- Baton Rouge, LA (WAFB)
- Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX (KFDM)
- Bend, OR (KBNZ)
- Birmingham, AL (WIAT)
- Binghamton, NY (WBNG)
- Billings, MT (KTVQ)
- Biloxi / Gulfport, MS (WLOX)
- Bluefield / Beckley / Oak Hill, WV (WVNS)
- Boise, ID (KBOI)
- Boston, MA / Manchester, NH (WBZ)
- Bowling Green, KY (WNKY)
- Bryan / College Station (KBTX)
- Buffalo, NY (WIVB)
- Burlington-Plattsburgh, NY (WCAX)
- Butte, MT (KXLF)
- Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City / Dubuque, IA (KGAN)
- Champaign and Sprngfld / Decatur, IL (WCIA)
- Charleston / Huntington, WV (WOWK)
- Charleston, SC (WCSC)
- Charlotte, NC (WBTV)
- Charlottesville, VA (WCAV)
- Chattanooga, TN (WDEF)
- Cheyenne / Scottsbluff, WY (KGWN)
- Chicago, IL (WBBM)
- Chico / Redding, CA (KHSL)
- Cincinnati, OH (WKRC)
- Clarksburg / Weston, WV (WDTV)
- Cleveland / Akron (Canton), OH (WOIO)
- Colorado Springs / Pueblo, CO (KKTV)
- Columbia / Jefferson City, MO (KRCG)
- Columbia, SC (WLTX)
- Columbus, GA / Opelika, AL (WRBL)
- Columbus, OH (WBNS)
- Columbus / Tupelo, MS (WCBI)
- Corpus-Christi, TX (KZTV)
- Dallas / Ft. Worth, TX (KTVT)
- Davenport, IA; Rock Island / Moline, IL (WHBF)
- Dayton, OH (WHIO)
- Denver, CO (KCNC)
- Des Moines / Ames, IA (KCCI)
- Detroit, MI (WWJ)
- Dothan, AL (WTVY)
- Duluth-Superior, MN (KBJR)
- Elmira (Corning), NY (WENY)
- El Paso (Las Cruces), TX (KDBC)
- Erie, PA (WSEE)
- Eugene (Coos Bay/Roseburg), OR (KVAL)
- Eureka, CA (KVIQ)
- Evansville, IN (WEVV)
- Fairbanks, AK (KXDF)
- Fargo / Valley City, ND (KVLY)
- Flint / Saginaw / Bay City, MI (WNEM)
- Fort Myers / Naples, FL (WINK)
- Fort Smith / Fayetteville / Springdale / Rogers, AR (KFSM)
- Fort Wayne, IN (WANE)
- Freeport, IL (WIFR)
- Fresno / Visilia, CA (KGPE)
- Gainesville, FL (WGFL)
- Grand Junction / Montrose, CO (KREX)
- Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo / Battle Creek, MI (WWMT)
- Great Falls, MT (KRTV)
- Green Bay / Appleton, WI (WFRV)
- Greensboro / High Point / Winston Salem, NC (WFMY)
- Greenville/New Bern/Washington, NC (WNCT)
- Greenville /Spartansburg, SC / Ashville, NC (WSPA)
- Greenwood-Greenville, MS (WXVT)
- Harlingen / Weslaco / Brownsville / McAllen, TX (KVEO)
- Harrisonburg, VA (WSVF-CD)
- Harrisburg / Lancaster / Lebanon / York, PA (WHP)
- Hartford / New Haven, CT (WFSB)
- Hattiesburg / Laurel, MS (WHLT)
- Honolulu, HI (KGMB)
- Houston, TX (KHOU)
- Huntsville / Decatur / Florence, AL (WHNT)
- Idaho Falls/Pocatello, ID/Jackson, WY (KIDK)
- Indianapolis / Kokomo, IN (WTTV)
- Jackson, MS (WJTV)
- Jackson, TN (WBBJ)
- Jacksonville, FL (WJAX)
- Johnstown / Altoona / State College, PA (WTAJ)
- Jonesboro, AR (KJNB)
- Joplin, MO / Pittsburg, KS (KOAM)
- Juneau (Sitka/Ketchikan), AK (KTVA)
- Kansas City, MO (KCTV)
- Knoxville, TN (WVLT)
- La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI (WKBT)
- Lafayette, IN (WLFI)
- Lafayette, LA (KLFY)
- Lake Charles, LA (KSWL-LD)
- Lansing, MI (WLNS)
- Laredo, TX (KYLX)
- Las Vegas, NV (KLAS)
- Lexington / Hazard, KY (WKYT)
- Lexington, KY (WYMT)
- Lima, OH (WOHL-CD)
- Little Rock / Pine Bluff, AR (KTHV)
- Lincoln / Hastings / Kearney, NE (Grand Island) – KOLN
- Los Angeles, CA (KCBS)
- Louisville, KY (WLKY)
- Lubbock, TX (KLBK)
- Macon, GA (WMAZ)
- Madison, WI (WISC)
- Mankato, MN (KEYC)
- Marquette / Escanaba, MI (WJMN)
- Medford / Klamath Falls, OR (KTVL)
- Memphis, TN (WREG)
- Meridian, MS (WMDN)
- Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL (WFOR)
- Milwaukee, WI (WDJT)
- Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN (WCCO)
- Minot / Bismarck, ND (KXMC)
- Missoula, MT (KPAX)
- Mobile, AL / Pensacola, FL (WKRG)
- Monroe, LA / El Dorado, AR (KNOE)
- Monterey-Salinas, CA (KION)
- Montgomery / Selma, AL (WAKA)
- Myrtle Beach / Florence, SC (WBTW)
- Nashville, TN (WTVF)
- New Orleans, LA (WWL)
- New York, NY (WCBS)
- Norfolk / Portsmouth / Newport News, VA (WTKR)
- North Platte, NE (KNPL)
- Odessa / Midland, TX (KOSA)
- Oklahoma City, OK (KWTV)
- Omaha, NE (KMTV)
- Orlando / Daytona Beach / Melbourne, FL (WKMG)
- Ottumwa, IA / Kirksville, MO (KTVO)
- Paducah-Cape Girard-Harsbg, GA (KFVS)
- Palm Springs, CA (KPSP)
- Panama City, FL (WECP-LD)
- Parkersburg, WV (WIYE-LD)
- Peoria / Bloomington, IL (WMBD)
- Philadelphia, PA (KYW)
- Phoenix (Prescott), AZ (KPHO)
- Pittsburgh, PA (KDKA)
- Portland, ME (WGME)
- Portland, OR (KOIN)
- Presque Isle, ME (WAGM)
- Providence / New Bedford, RI (WPRI)
- Quincy, IL / Hannibal, MO / Keokuk, IA (KHQA)
- Raleigh / Durham (Fayetteville), NC (WNCN)
- Rapid City, SD (KCLO)
- Reno, NV (KTVN)
- Richmond / Petersburg, VA (WTVR)
- Roanoke / Lynchburg (WDBJ)
- Rochester, MN / Mason City, IA / Austin, MN (KIMT)
- Rochester, NY (WROC)
- St. Joseph, MO (KCJO-LD)
- Sacramento / Stockton / Modesto, CA (KOVR)
- Saint Louis, MO (KMOV)
- Salisbury, MD (WBOC)
- Salt Lake City, UT (KUTV)
- San Angelo, TX (KLST)
- San Antonio, TX (KENS)
- San Diego, CA (KFMB)
- San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose, CA (KPIX)
- Santa Barbara, CA (KCOY)
- Savannah, GA (WTOC)
- Seattle / Tacoma, WA (KIRO)
- Sherman, TX / Ada, OK (KXII)
- Shreveport, LA (KSLA)
- Sioux City, IA (KMEG)
- Sioux Falls / Mitchell, SD (KELO)
- South Bend / Elkhart, IN (WSBT)
- Spokane, WA (KREM)
- Springfield / Holyoke, MA (WSHM)
- Springfield, MO (KOLR)
- Syracuse, NY (WTVH)
- Tallahassee, FL / Thomasville, GA (WCTV)
- Tampa /St. Petersburg / Sarasota, FL (WTSP)
- Terre Haute, IN (WTHI)
- Toledo, OH (WTOL)
- Topeka, KS (WIBW)
- Traverse City / Cadillac, MI (WWTV)
- Tri-Cities, TN / Johnson City, VA (WJHL)
- Tucson (Sierra Vista), AZ (KOLD)
- Tulsa, OK (KOTV)
- Twin Falls, ID (KMVT)
- Tyler / Longview, TX (KYTX)
- Utica, NY (WKTV)
- Waco / Temple / Bryan, TX (KWTX)
- Washington, DC (WUSA)
- Watertown, NY(WWNY)
- Wausau / Rhinelander, WI (WSAW)
- West Palm Beach / Ft. Pierce, FL (WPEC)
- Wheeling / Steubenville, OH (WTRF)
- Wichita / Hutchinson Plus, KS (KWCH)
- Wichita Falls, TX / Lawton, OK (KAUZ)
- Wilkes Barre / Scranton, PA (WYOU)
- Wilmington, NC (WWAY)
- Yakima / Pasco / Ricchland / Kennewick, WA (KIMA)
- Youngstown, OH (WKBN)
- Yuma, AZ / El Centro, CA (KYMA)
The Cons to CBS All Access
The biggest downside to CBS all access was the commercials. While there are less than on regular broadcast CBS, it’s difficult to reconcile watching commercials when you are already paying money for a streaming service. However, CBS realized this and now offers a commercial-free package for $9.99 per month. That still may be a bit too pricey for some.
The other issue many have is more of an observation than a complaint. Current seasons of CBS shows available on CBS All Access are also available online if you wait a few days. However, you can only view it on CBS or your computer browser. Subscribing to CBS All Access cuts the delay down to one day and makes the content available to watch on your television through a streaming device or smart TV. Unless, of course, you are in a live market. Then, you can watch it the day it airs.
That said, subscribing to CBS All Access does provide exclusive content and an extensive on-demand library that isn’t available to non-subscribers.
Is CBS All Access Worth the Cost
CBS All Access has demonstrated it can make high-quality premium television like Star Trek: Discovery. The streaming service also fills a need for those looking for content in the CBS vault. Fans of shows like Big Brother and all 5 Star Trek series should have no problem realizing the value of CBS All Access.
Furthermore, if you lack a TV antenna and live in one of the live markets, then CBS All Access may be just what you need. If you couple it with a service like Hulu’s Streaming library ($5.99 per month), you have an On-Demand solution for a lot of FOX, CBS, ABC, and NBC shows.
CBS.com airs episodes of current shows, but you can only watch on your browser. You can also wait out a 5-day delay for new shows to air on your mobile device. But if you can’t wait, or want to stream to your television with a Roku or other streaming device, then you may want to consider picking up the service.
CBS All Access is worth the money for those looking for a way to get next-day CBS Prime Time shows and don’t have an antenna. It’s also worth it for those looking for the archive of CBS content on demand. If that doesn’t sound like you, then you may be disappointed. However, there is a free trial for everyone that signs up, so there isn’t any risk in giving it a try. And after the trial, it’s one of the more affordable streaming services at $5.99 per month. Considering CBS All Access as a whole, I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
If this article didn't answer your specific question, head over to our Home Page! It will guide you to affordable internet providers, streaming services to meet your needs, information on antennas, and many more tools and resources to help you save money on TV and Internet access.
For tips and tricks on cutting the cord and other tech topics be sure to join our Facebook Page.
With over 60 live channels including HGTV, AMC, Paramount Channel and more for just $20 per month, Philo TV is one of the best TV provider deals you 'll find online. Try a Free Trial to Philo Now! No credit card required!
Disney+ is offering an amazing deal combining Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ for just $12.99 per month! For more on the new Disney streaming service, check out our ultimate guide to Disney+